Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Am I allowed to rant one more time about Vista? Please?

I was able to get my hands on a copy of Vista Business upgrade.  I decided to take the plunge, one more time, into the Vista abyss by upgrading my XP Pro at home.  This was, btw, a real valid non beta version of Vista, and I wanted to see if it truly was worth my time and efforts to upgrade and stay with Vista as my primary OS.

As I had stated before, my personal experiences with Vista have been mixed.  I really like the look of Vista.  Yet there are things I really dont like, such as UAC (User Access Control).

Anyway, I decided to "upgrade".  Vista actually give you the option to install clean even if you are upgrading, so I took that option.  It renames your old install to Windows.old.  So I would be able to get my favorites and outlook data file if needed. 

After all was said and done, I think Vista is still a very pretty OS.  I also think it's rather stable.  But there are still problems with various hardware that I have installed.  I dont blame Microsoft for this, I blame the hardware vendors. 

I have been playing with Vista for over a year.  If I was a major hardware vendor with products that thousands of people use everyday on PC's.  You bet your ass I would be making sure my product works with Microsoft's new OS!!!  I find it baffling that major players like Nvidia, still, cant produce a WHQL driver for Vista.  They have had 5 years to develop one! 

Small companies I can forgive to some extent.  Like my Razor gaming mouse.  I emailed Razor, several months ago, about Vista drivers and they said they didnt even have beta drivers yet.  Forgive them if Vista is still in beta, but not now after Vista is out.  At least provide some semblance that you are working on creating drivers for Vista.  I have not found anything on their web sites, yet.

So back to XP Pro it was for me.  No more artifacts in my games from crappy Nvidia drivers.  No more crappy mouse movements due to non existent drivers/default drivers.

XPing, again - TMS