Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Lost...But not completely!

Linux

Its strikes fear into most Microsoft tech guys.  At least it did me for a long time.  As much as I wanted to understand and play with this OS, I found myself frustrated and lost when trying to get video drivers installed, a newer version of Firefox, or trying to get my sound card working.  For a windows tech guy that has worked in windows for over 10 years, this was very frustrating.  I must point out that this was a few years ago, looking at RedHat 6 and Mandrake 8.

Today I feel Linux is must better with hardware support.  This is a great thing for people like me that wants to try something different.  I have installed Ubuntu a few times and it has only had problems with one piece of hardware.  My winmodem.  This I can completely understand.  The modem was designed to run under Windows, hence the name winmodem.

Broadband is on it's way to my house, and when I am able to get online with broadband, I will have another go at Linux.  Maybe try Open SUSE this time.  :-)

Another article about Linux being a great replacement for Windows XP and even Vista here.  n-joy!

Desperately seeking alternative computing - TMS