Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Linux on a Dell - This is a great thing for Linux, but what about you?

I have been a proponent of Linux for years.  My only gripe is gaming.  I understand there are workarounds such as virtual machines and Wine, but gaming on Linux is almost non existent due to the game developers resistance to venture into the Linux world.  But for a normal desktop to surf the net and do productivity software, Linux is perfectly fine.  Would I suggest my parents buy a Linux Dell?  No.  Would I buy one?  Maybe.



Dell's decision to sell computers with Linux pre-installed, is a great thing for the user community, Linux, and Dell.  I can see nothing but good coming from this.  Linux gets more of an install base, driver support from hardware manufacturers will be pressured into becoming more reliable and the drivers themselves will become better.  User now have a choice.  Linux or Windows.  For those that want to venture off into the wild blue world of Linux, you can do so now without the struggles of having to install the OS and drivers.  For some this is a big deal.  Dell will sell more computers.  This probably wont become a cash cow anytime soon, but they will sell more computers because of this.



Anyway, enough rambling about this from me.  A nice article from the desktop Linux website here.



Wishing I could game on Linux - TMS









Powered by ScribeFire.